Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Operation Rainbow Canada (ORC).
We are always looking for individuals who are passionate about improving the lives of children to help out. And we need a diverse range of talents and skill to stay with our core value of 100% volunteer run (a.k.a “no paid staff”). For over 17 years, we have able to keep to this goal by attracting professionals who are high performers in their respective fields who are able to “work to their full potential”.
- Since our core focus is medical missions in developing countries, many volunteers are interested in this area of our work. If this is the case, please see the “Medical Mission Volunteer” section below.
- If you are interested in supporting us in the equally critical areas of fundraising, administration, finance and logistics, please go to the “General Volunteer” section below. Without sourcing funds, planning, paperwork, marketing and website updates, our missions cannot go forward. So we need year-round help in those areas.
Medical Mission Volunteer
Plastic Surgeons, Anesthesiologists, Pre-Op nurses, Operating Room Nurses, Recovery Room Nurses, Night nurses, and Equipment Sterilizing personnel comprise of 90% of the personnel of each mission. We have very limited non-medical spaces. Generally, there is only one Administrator and/or one Administrative Assistant on each trip.
Important Information to consider BEFORE you start applying for a position on a Mission:
- Since our patients are mainly children and young adults, pediatric experience is ESSENTIAL if you are working in the Operating or Recovery Rooms.
- We screen each application carefully so please review the criteria and provide full references from doctors and nursing supervisors that you are currently working with.
- The Medical Residents and Fellows are usually nominated by their respective colleges and/or hospitals. If you are a Resident or a Fellow, please contact your respective college or hospital to nominate you.
- ORC is based in Vancouver, Canada and even though we have team members from around the world joining our missions, the majority of our mission team is based in Vancouver. All teams based in North America depart from YVR. No exceptions.
- In order to have an effective and cohesive team who work intensively together for 10+ days in frequently sub-optimal conditions, we believe that it is critical that our volunteers get to know each other prior to a mission. During the team selection process, our Mission Planning Committee has to evaluate the strengths to each member so that they can complement each other. How can you get to know us as a new volunteer? Please see point #6 below.
- If you are a new volunteer, you MUST come to our meetings or meet the Mission Planning Committee prior to your application being accepted. This is also in your own best interest to find out whether being involved with ORC is the right choice for you. Our meetings occur 6 times per year on the first Tuesday of January, March, May, July, September and November.
- You must be a General Member in good standing to be considered for a Medical Mission. Annual Membership (January to December) dues are payable in January or upon joining, to be a Member in Good Standing.
- Please Note: There is no guarantee of acceptance on a Medical Mission. We receive many applications per year and have strict qualification requirements in order to deliver the highest standard of care to our patients.
If you would like to get involved, whether it be on the ground, in our missions, publicizing upcoming ORC initiatives, or just supporting the cause, we could most certainly use your energy and expertise. Because of the nature of our work, you must be based in the Lower Mainland.
Aside from medical professionals, we need people who have any of the following skills; accounting, administration, educational, legal, technical support, internet savvy, website development, social media, marketing, photography, videography, writing, editing, logistics, event planning, fundraising, operations and charity experience.
We also need people to help on the ground with events and marketing initiatives. No technical skill required; just a willingness to help.
Please fill in the Volunteer Enrolment form below. Be sure to include your resume. We will notify you once you have been accepted.
Please request a Medical Mission Volunteer Application Form here